Monday, April 27, 2009

Is it really all up to Mr Rudd?


As the economic crisis worsens and Australian households begin to feel the pinch, I'm reminded of a report I once saw about The Great Depression of the 1930's. Amid the chaos and fear, due to the domination of real poverty and hardship, the people of Australia were still able to find a sense of teamwork and comradship within their hearts.


One example of exceptional unselfishness that comes to mind is the fact that many employees chose to take paycuts in a bid to save their employer's businesses. In making such a wise and selfless decision, these people probably saved their jobs, allowing them to continue to provide for their family. They also saved a business, which, after the Great Depression would have stood as a foundation in rebuilding society and the economy.


When all we're hearing about is how bad things are, were and will be, it's easy to become disheartned and, as a result, complacent about our part as individuals in the position of our country's economic, social and environmental situation.


I'm challenged to, instead of looking to the Government for answers, look inside for ways that I, as an individual, voting, tax-paying Australian can do my part to improve the situation for all of us.


Perhaps instead of looking for pay rises, we could be content with what we have and, just for now, make do the best we can, with what we already have. We might be able to do without going to the movies or renting the latest blockbuster for $8/night so that we can put the extra money into buying Australian made products instead of cheaper imports.


I'm certainly not professing to be following my thoughts and turning them into action. Just yesterday I exclaimed in what, looking back now, was a very toddler-ish tantrum voice, "Recessions just aren't fair!" to my husband who, much to my annoyance stared at me with a look of amazement.


But one thing I have learned from my little outburst is that no, recessions aren't fair, but nonetheless, what am I going to do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi~ Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I love hearing what people have to say :o) Have a great day!