Monday, June 1, 2009

Would You Go On A Date With Lady Gaga?

I absolutely love Mia Freedman's writing - I'd love to be able to write like that! She wrote this hilarious (abbreviated) account of early relationship angst in yesterday's Sun Herald;

I love you, now change. Your clothes. Ever had a relationship like that?

Years ago, I worked with a girl I’ll call Jane. Jane had been dating this new guy for about a month and everything about him was delightful. He was good-looking, kind, funny, employed. Not too much visible baggage. Better still, he ‘got’ her. Obviously then, there had to be a problem.

You see, Jane’s new boyfriend liked to tuck his shirts and t-shirts into his pants. All the time. Everything tucked. In fact, we immediately christened him Tucker behind his back and to this day I can’t recall his actual name.

As co-workers, we were nothing if not helpful, offering endless suggestions to Jane. My angle was positive re-inforcement. “Compliment him every time he’s un-tucked” I suggested. Except he never was. Finally, someone came up with a decent idea. “Buy him some clothes that can’t be tucked in. Like shortish t-shirts. And jumpers. He’ll think you’re giving him a gift and the gift for you will be a visual one every time you see him. It’s win-win.” And so that’s what Jane did. And Tucker wore his new tops untucked. And she praised him. And they still broke up a year later but not because of the tucking.

Dating Lady Gaga would be difficult. On so many levels. This is the American recording artist whose signature look is to wear no pants. Not in a Britney and her ladygarden way, more of a Solid Gold Dancer way (Solid Gold was an 80s TV show, kids – ask your parents about it).
On a normal day, Lady Gaga wears shiny leotards with flesh-coloured tights, ridiculous shoes and a long platinum wig. This is not even her onstage look, not even a costume. This is just how she hangs out.

In a radio interview last week with Merrick and Rosso, they commented on how she always makes a supreme effort with her clothes and never seems to let herself go.

“No, I never do” she agreed earnestly. “It can be a problem when I’m dating because a guy will say to me ‘Let’s go out to dinner and will you just wear something low key so we don’t get all that attention’ And you know what? I’m really offended by that. I’m not going to change who I am just so you can have a quiet dinner.” I wonder if Lady Gaga goes on many dates?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi~ Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I love hearing what people have to say :o) Have a great day!