Monday, May 18, 2009

Bringing Business Home

In years gone by, home-based businesses were considered second-rate, assumed to be newly established and perhaps even unprofessional. Now, possibly because of soaring child care rates and commercial rental fees, mother's all over the place are running busy, successful businesses from their homes. Many have employees and run business meeting at the family table. Shelley Appelgren, based in Emu Plains, is one of these mums.

In 2001 Shelley launched two businesses from home - Pay Solutions and Salon One. Pay Solutions is a direct debit management company, allowing buisnesses to have a more steady cashflow due to regular direct debit payment being made by clients and managed by Pay Solutions. Salon One is a beauty salon membership program used at many salons around the country. Members/salon clients pay a monthly membership fee which is then translated into credit for use in-store, again allowing owners a more steady cash flow.

Salon One was the original concept. Shelley's friends were struggling with their family business - a gym/beauty salon; “Their salon was having its ups and downs so they came up with a concept of a membership program which was to be conducted via direct debit,” Shelley explains. “My friend had the concept and I had a marketing background so she asked me if I wanted to come on board in a marketing capacity. My daughter was only three months old but I jumped at the opportunity.”

Shelley has since bought out the business and now runs Pay Solutions and Salon One with the assistance of two employees.

Pay Solutions evolved soon after.

“There are a number of reasons why we chose to have a home-based business,” the busy Mumpreneur explains. “I have a young family so the flexibility was a plus. The other main reason was that I wanted to invest funds into the marketing and growth of the business.”

Shelley admits that initially, the plan was to stick with the home-based setup for a few years and then to move into an off-site office. But people’s perceptions changed and Shelley realised that moving wasn’t necessary. “I thought if I ran the business from home that people would see me as an unprofessional small business but that if I had an office, people would see me as a more professional, large organisation,” Shelley says. “I think people’s views have changed over the years and it’s no longer necessary to have an external office.”

Shelley’s family have been very supportive of her business and her daughters, Georgia 8 and Ella 5, love watching and getting involved. “I don’t think it’s a bad thing (that they often see me working). They’re exposed to that work ethic and I can explain to them that Mummy’s working to earn money so we can do special things.”

Pay Solutions and Salon One will remain home-based businesses for as long as possible until council restrictions require them to move (many councils have strict regulations about how many employees can work in a home office). When the time comes to move elsewhere, Shelley will no doubt feel a little disappointed. “If you had asked me eight years ago whether I preferred working from home or not I wouldn’t have said it was by choice but now it is definitely my choice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi~ Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I love hearing what people have to say :o) Have a great day!