Monday, May 4, 2009

I recently had the pleasure of speaking to up-and-coming musician, Jess Chalker. I found her to be very down to earth, despite her mind blowing sky-rocket to You-Tube fame after recording herself on her webcam and posting it on the international video site. Jess is a beautiful musician and a great ambassador for the Hawkesbury.

Jess Comes Out Of The Shadows

by Joni Leimgruber
DESPITE international contract offers, a growing fanbase and an upcoming slot with singer-songwriter Lior on his ‘Shadows and Light’ tour, Kurrajong’s Jess Chalker is determined to take
things slowly.
Ms Chalker, was flung into the online spotlight when she posted some of her songs on internet website YouTube. After one of her songs, ‘Said the Raindrop to the Seed’, received
around 400,000 hits, contract offers from all over the world began flooding in.

Ms Chalker, whose feet seem to be firmly planted on the ground, spoke to The Gazette about her approach towards music and her hopes for the future.

“I want to approach this as an artist and build on my craft first,” she said. “I’m still very shy and my performances are still quite intimate. I want to be a true professional before I really get into it.”

When asked how she would describe her musical style, she said it was difficult to categorise.

“No-one really wants to be put into a genre box but I guess my music is alternative acoustic lyrical,” she said.

This year looks like it will be a busy one for the talented songstress, with a tour beginning in March, supporting well respected alternative artist Lior for nine dates of his ‘Shadows and Light’ tour.

“I’m really excited,” she said of the upcoming tour. “I’m a little nervous but very excited. Lior is an amazing artist and I feel honoured to open for him and to have his support.”

Ms Chalker, who also plays piano and guitar and dabbles in the ukulele, finds her inspiration not only in talented musicians such as The Beatles and Joni Mitchell, but also in her circle of friends and family who only discovered her lent last year, when she began posting her music online.

“They felt quite proud,” Ms Chalker said. "They knew that I was singing and playing guitar but I don’t think they realised that I was writing my own songs and doing okay with that. It came as quite a surprise but they’ve been very supportive.”

While Ms Chalker is now based at Summer Hill, her family still lives in the Hawkesbury and are proud of her development as a serious musician and artist.

Jess recently serenaded diners at a Valentine’s Day dinner at Sassafras Creek restaurant in Kurrajong Village.

Sassafras owner Natalie Smith raved about Jess’ beautiful voice, lilting acoustic melodies and
poetic lyrics.

Lior’s’ Shadows and Light’ tour is set to be the final shows before he commences work on his third album, and promises to be a unique and memorable show which shouldn’t be missed. The tour is expected to cement Jess Chalker’s status as a homegrown musician to watch.

For more information, gig dates, or to listen to Ms Chalker’s music, visit www.jesschalker.com
or youtube.com/alleycat82

As published in the Hawkesbury Gazette, January 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi~ Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I love hearing what people have to say :o) Have a great day!