Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Freedom Of Speech or Only To Agree?

Last month, Miss Universe America contestant Carrie Prejean (Miss California) expressed her opinions on gay marriage after being asked what she thought by panellist Perez Hilton. Much to the shock of the openly homosexual panellist and the world at large, Ms Prejean explained that in her family and in her home town, marriage was between a man and a woman and that she believes that's how it should stay. International media was abuzz and Ms Prejean admitted that by making her opinions known, she had probably sacrificed any chance she had of gaining the title of Miss Universe America away.

Now, photos have 'emerged' of a younger, naked Ms Prejean. Coincidence? I think not.

Ms Prejean addressed her critics today.

“On April 19, I chose to answer a question during the 2009 Miss USA pageant in an honest and personal manner that expressed my views of the long-established definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman... my comments defending traditional marriage have led to intimidation tactics that seek to undermine my reputation and somehow silence me and my beliefs, as if opinion is only a one-way street.

“... photos taken of me as a teenager have been released surreptitiously to a tabloid Web site that openly mocks me for my Christian faith... these attacks on me and others who speak in defense of traditional marriage are intolerant and offensive. While we may not agree on every issue, we should show respect for others’ opinions and not try to silence them through vicious and mean-spirited attacks.

“With that in mind, I will continue to support and defend marriage as the honorable institution it is. I will continue to stand with the overwhelming majority of the American people and the voters of my home state of California. If this whole experience has taught me anything, it is ...we as Americans can never allow anyone or any group to intimidate or threaten us to keep silent.”

Here, here!


Quotes and image courtesy of The Daily Telegraph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi~ Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I love hearing what people have to say :o) Have a great day!