Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I L.I.K.E you better when you are N.O.T around


I, along with most of the population, am totally in love with Kate Miller-Heidke and her music. Her new album has practically melded itself to the CD player in our car. The kids LOVE it. I usually listen to Hope 103.2 (they make sure their music is always suitable for little ears - no censorship needed there!) but I've found that Kate's album - Curiouser - is not only a great listen, but it's helped cement some of the things the kids have been learning about lately.

Two songs in particular have made an impact on the girls.

Caught in the Crowd is Kate's heart felt apology to a boy - James - who she befriended then betrayed in high school. She tells the story of how they used to race home from school on their bikes and slowly built a friendship. James didn't have many friends at school and oneday when some of the kids were pushing him around, he saw Kate and called out her name... and she turned and walked away.

Everytime I hear this my insides turn to mush. Not because I was bullied at school - I was painfully quiet so got off pretty much scott-free - but because this is such a sad reality for so many people. Something that's really important to Matt and I is that our children grow up with an awareness of other people's feelings and needs - not just their own.

The girls have dubbed this song The Sorry Song and talk about how sad James was when Kate walked away from him. They've learned how important it is to stick by our friends and that to refuse to be someones friend will hurt them deeply. They ask to listen to it over and over again and I'm happy to oblige - the lesson they're learning is so important.



Song number 2 on my plug list is I Like You Better When You Are Not Around. Startling title but awesome message. See for yourself:

(This isn't the entire song, I've cut out a few verses... )

Long, long ago in the years BC
The women used to gossip while they made their tea
It's been our method of survival, right from the start
But girl you've really gone and turned it into an art

After I see you I feel dirty as hell
Like you've contaminated me with that peculiar smell
That comes from dishing up the dirt on all your closest friends
"I mean like what the hell is with her, I mean, no offence"

So please don't take it to heart
When I say can we start to spend time apart
But frankly my dear
This friendship is toxic
Like a fox and a hound

I like you better when you're not around

Don't wanna hear about your bitchy scene
And I don't really care who gave who what disease
As if don't even know you say just the same about me
Do you really think I'm that naïve?

Great lyrics hey. You should hear it, the tune is even better!

At first I didn't play this song around the kids but then I realised the gem it actually is. I explained to them that people don't actually want to be friends with mean people. When we talk about others and say nasty things about them, people often think to themselves, "I wonder if they say mean things about me. I don't really want to be their friend anymore". It really got them thinking.



What do you think? Do you use music to teach your children about life? Would you let them listen to these songs?

2 comments:

  1. Excellent musical video!!! Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I'm glad you liked the song too :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hi~ Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I love hearing what people have to say :o) Have a great day!