Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mulberry trees and garden wees - Kate Wattus


My Child magazine has just finished their 2009 My Life writing competition. If you like, skip over and read some of the final entries.

I loved so many of them but this one gave me a giggle so I wanted to share.

MULBERRY TREES AND GARDEN WEES by Kate Wattus

Before becoming a mum I lived in a fantasy world of manners and mores, where children ate their meals in the seated position at a table. Where children said ‘please’and ‘thank you’. Where children replied when others spoke to them. Where children took their shoes off at the door. And last but by no means least, where children relieved themselves atop a piece of plumbed porcelain.

My game plan was pretty simple; spend enough time nurturing the Big Five, and things
would just fall into place. After all, apart from the small matter of my half-finished
education degree, I had all the time in the world to spend with my firstborn. And kids
just do what you tell them, right? Stop laughing please.

My eldest daughter’s manners were impeccable from day one. She always removed her
shoes at the front door. She would not only answer when spoken to, but engage the
speaker in a detailed discussion on any number of topics. And I could have taken her for
a slab of Wagyu at The Hilton, safe in the knowledge she wouldn’t drop her knickers and
do a wee on the clipped lawn if she felt that way inclined. Which is more than I can say
for Paris.

I must confess that the sight of a male, even a small one, thinking it was ok to urinate
in my back yard, just because he could, was unacceptable. It offended my feminine
sensibilities. I was very Jane Austen about the whole thing.

Fast forward nine years, and you could say I’ve loosened up a little. Not only do I have a
child who wees in the backyard, I have a female child who wees in the backyard. And
the front yard. And the neighbours’ yard. And the courtyard at her big sister’s violin
recital.

My youngests penchant for alfresco urination came about after a run of toilet training
mishaps.

‘Do you need to wee, Annouk?’ I’d ask, as that unmistakable expression came over her
face.

‘Yeah!’ she’d say as she scrambled to the edge of the trampoline mat, struggling to
remove her Tinkerbell undies.

Deciding enough was enough, and assuming that Noo would share her older sister’s
conservative views on the public wizz, I came up with a plan.

I gave the practice a name that sounded exciting and non-threatening (the Garden
Wee), and added just a dash of romance and discretion by suggesting she have her own
special location; under our beautiful mulberry tree. It was private. It was shady. And if
the neighbours were having a BBQ on the deck, Noo wouldn’t be providing the live
entertainment.

Not surprisingly, she took to it like a duck to water. We had no more wayward wee
wees. The trampoline stayed dry. And it gave the chickens something to look at if it was
a slow day in the coop.

Pretty soon, Noo decided to do away with the mulberry tree location. The Garden Wee
became the Grass Wee, and pretty soon the Just About Anywhere Wee. Once, while
chatting to our elderly neighbours on their front lawn, Annouk started to lift her skirt.
‘Noo?!’ I hissed, ‘What are you doing?!’

‘I need to do a wee, Mum,’ replied my little one, matter-of-factly.

Despite the fact that Betty and Roy displayed a saintly patience when it came to our
wandering children and chickens, I wasn’t about to force this upon them.

I hurried our polite goodbyes, and managed to get Annouk as far as our own front lawn.
Which brings me to the violin recital. As Britt stood silently poised, and prepared to
execute a perfect rendition of Twinkle Twinkle, Annouk announced that she needed to
perform a twinkle of her own. My spring into action occurred just as Britt’s bow touched
the strings, hence providing the appropriately frantic musical accompaniment for our
dash to deliverance.

‘I really need to go, Mum,’ she called as we dashed, hand in hand, searching for the loo.
I pulled her around the corner of the hall and into the grassy courtyard.

‘Just do it here,’ I whispered, bending to help her disrobe.

As I looked up to stare at the sky while she finished, I saw the Ladies sign just a handful
of metres away on the opposite side of the courtyard.

And that was the moment it all seemed so absurd. I crouched there on the grass beside
my beautiful little girl, and laughed at my Farcical Five; at myself. And I’m happy to say
that Noo joined in.

And now, just a few months down the track, she’s over her Just About Anywhere Wee. I
still see her near the mulberry tree, occasionally indulging. But I don’t think I’ll be
asking her to refrain from hitching up her graduation gown on the university lawn, as I
once had feared. Time has gently taken care of things, as it always does.

And I felt more than just a hint of disappointment when, at the beach just this week,
Noo asked to be taken to the toilets rather than squatting in the white wash.

After all, whether or not kids remove their shoes or remember to say thanks is not what
precious memories of childhood are made of. It’s the sweetness of mulberry trees and
garden wees that I’ll remember when they’re grown, and will forever make me glow.

Photo credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi~ Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I love hearing what people have to say :o) Have a great day!